HSA tax documents

Because your health savings account is tax advantaged, the IRS requires that you report contributions and distributions on your tax return. We’ll mail you both forms, but you can always access them on the member website: “Message Center” > “View Statements” > “HSA Tax Statements.”

Tax form timeline:

Form 1099-SA

Mailed to you by January 31

Used for your tax returns to report distributions from your HSA during the previous calendar year.

Note: You are not required to include the amounts as income unless they were used for non-qualified expenses.


Form 5498-SA

Mailed in May of each year

Used to report contributions and/or rollovers into your HSA for the previous tax year.

Note: This form is not needed for your tax returns.